BECOME A SKATER
We accept new skaters of ALL skill levels. From award-winning speed skaters to wall-huggers who can barely stay on their feet – if you’ve got the drive to learn, we’ll teach you!
Follow our Facebook page for 2020 boot camp announcements where MRD veterans will get you in derby shape and teach you the basics to get you started.
If you already have some derby-related skills and experience (like crossovers, plow stops or transitions), shoot us a message! We may be able to fit you into a fresh meat class already in session.
Transfers are welcome throughout the year.
Here are some things you need to know if you’d like to become a skater:
– Skaters joining MRD must be at least 18.
– You don’t need gear (helmet, mouth guard, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards and quad skates) to show up to your first few practices, but you do need it to skate. We have a bin of loaner gear if you’re short a few items.
– If you’re looking at buying gear, here’s a list of gear and information to get you started.
JOIN OUR REC LEAGUE
Memphis Roller Derby’s rec league is for you if:
– You can't commit to practice attendance, but roller derby speaks to your very soul.
– You transferred from another league and want to keep on skating without competing.
– You’re a retired skater who just can’t keep away!
Interested in joining our rec league but don’t know how to skate? Try our bootcamp! Follow us on Facebook for updates on the next one!
BECOME AN OFFICIAL
We couldn’t do any of this without our officials, who help keep us safe and playing fair.
MRD is lucky to have a number of high-level referees. Joining us as a referee means learning from some of the best. And no matter the outcome of our bouts, Team Zebra always wins!
If skating isn’t for you, become an NSO! NSOs officiate off-skates and help keep track of score and penalties.
Don’t worry if you have no experience as a referee or a NSO. We’ll train you to get you up to speed!